Although the Government professes to acknowledge the science of climate change, its policy ignores the full implications – in particular:
- Human-caused global warming is more evident than ever.
- Increasing extreme weather is already costing Australian lives.
- There is mounting evidence that atmospheric CO2 levels have already reached a tipping point for amplifying feedbacks.
- The world’s present course leads to an unimaginably catastrophic >4°C warming.
- The impacts will almost certainly outweigh all other attempts to make a better world.
- Most of the world’s fossil fuel reserves must be left in the ground to prevent 2°C warming.
- Stabilizing the climate requires extremely urgent and rapid cuts in global greenhouse gas emissions.